Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Season

   The memorial weekend storm rolled in on Thursday, dropping snow for 3 days all the way down to town level.  This marks Montana's usual last hurrah, and every year around this time I look back to our November turns and realize how long the winter here truly is.  This reflection brings a few things into perspective.
   Bozeman outdoor folk live for seasons, understandably, as they are quite distinct here.  A "good" season or a "bad" season can completely change the outlook of the outdoor community; not just in their respective sports but in life.  The attitude of everyone (myself included) fluctuates depending on snowfall, river flows, summer temps, and rainfall.  We let this bleed into our perspective on vocations, relationships, ambitions, and general happiness.  But the simple fact is that in sport as in life, there are "good" seasons and "bad" seasons, but the constant is that there is always a season.  In the end there is still time every year when we get to do what we really love.
   I could say that completely outside of skiing, I had a "bad" winter.  Post-graduate struggles, friends moving away, family members passing away.  But it was still a season, and out of it grew reconnection with family, new career steps, new ambitions and directions, and a fresh start.

  Kevin Dean and I headed out for a day of skiing today.  I think it will be my last of the season. When i kick the mind into rewind and replay my days in the mountains, I think I can call it a "good" season.

'aint shabby for May 27th
Kevin's suckin a few O2's but still smiling


No comments:

Post a Comment